Pages

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Matcha and Shiatsu

I make my biweekly pilgrimage to the Path of Tea for my irresistible cup of frozen soy matcha smoothie. There is a strange energy always bringing me back here for this elixir, perhaps it's because I feel slightly high after, or the wonderful melange of creative and thought-provoking beings lurking around. At any rate, I am here today and right now.

I rushed back from a client walk (driving at almost 100 mph) to learn about Shiatsu. Prior to that, I just thought it was a fun word to say, but like most, had little idea of what it was all about. The word itself is somewhat sexy, but then again, I have somewhat of a peculiar mind.

I ordered my frozen nectar and sat next to what started as a stranger, an artist who worked in chinese calligraphy and sumi-e painting, realizing we had many friends and colleagues in common (a sample of a creative and thought-provoking being lurking) . We were introduced to Guy Hiscock, who started rambling in somewhat stream of consciousness fashion about his therapy practice. I have to admit I was a little confused at first trying to grasp for meaning and cohesiveness. Then I started to get it.

Integrative Shiatsu works on our three levels of existence: physical, emotional, and spiritual. The concept is that energy systems become unsynchronized due to stress, and by realigning them, the body is empowered to accelerate the healing process, preventing disease, and work at its best capacity. Guy was communicating with all these planes, then back to us, and his communication to us was extremely energetic, hilarious at times, and somewhat fragmented due to the different pathways of information reaching him. Of course, this is a much simplified definition of the practice, that was just my take away today.

Guy did demonstrations at random. Names were drawn out of a basked, and alas, I was a "chosen one." I felt like the virgin form the Danse Sacrale of the Rite of Spring, given that I was one of three men in the room. But hey, I am ready, willing and able. I am not sure why there was a little nervous anxiety inside of me, as I am usually very open to experiences outside of my realm.

His presence is calming. He asked me what I was afraid of since I was 6 years old (I informed him of my bad rotator cuff) when I fell of the monkey bars and broke my arm and I blurted out quickly and immediately: failure. That quick interaction brought something into my consciousness that I had not been aware of thought in a long time.

Using pressure points identified by the physical he made me aware of some meandering thoughts hidden somewhere deep in the vortex of what is my consciousness. Then I started to understand and made me wonder about what longer therapy would uncover. Am I ready, willing and able?

As i ponder, I'll order another matcha soy smoothie.

1 comment:

  1. Thirty-five years ago, I was introduced to Shiatsu by Monique, my sister-in-law who studied with Japanese Masters for years. She has gone beyond this therapy and her evolution brought her to the restructuration of energy in people. Quite amazing: it even works long distance! Yes you are ready, willing and able! Go for it!

    Michele

    ReplyDelete