Pages

Thursday, October 8, 2009

Anna Netrebko in the Target Bathroom Stall

Although not the sexiest and most eccentric topic, I had a funny experience as I put into action my smart shopper hat and ventured in to Target (where the smart trendy shoppers go) and accompanied the female contingency of my family as they searched for baby clothes.

The phrase "everything happens for a reason" is grossly overused by many that think of themselves as enlightened. I am tired of hearing it. It's cliche, banal, and just plain blah. I think it's time that the new generation comes up with a similar karmic praxis or stop pretending to believe in it all together.

As I decided to take a relief break in the pseudo clean Target facilities, I heard an angelic voice that usually does not make a formal appearance when I am discoursing with myself, as I am incapable of such sublime, transcendental and sinfully delicious imaginary vocalization. Plus it was a woman, and typically the voices in my head tend to me a little more gender ambiguous.

I came to the realization that the sound was coming from my pocket, and in my pocket lay at rest my beloved iPhone. Somehow, I had hit the music button and like the power of the force, it had coincidentally and "randomly" chosen the unmistakable and striking voice of Anna Netrebko, (photo by Esther Haase) a soprano of outstanding purity, "a virtuoso singer of endless versatility smoldering presence and inimitable sound, who happens to be fashion-model gorgeous."

I had just been reading an essay by Nikos Papastergiadis, Professor of Cultural Studies and Media & Communication at the University of Melbourne, on the concept of the everyday. Although not a thesis article but a conversation of the purity of art theory, analysis and works through the eyes of the everyday, it presented a wide continuum of possibility from the idiocies and banalities of everyday life to the boring political correctness, transcendental and academicist aesthetic approaches. In essence, from the seemingly insignificant to the marvelous.

High concept articles always provide for good conversation. At the Contemporary Arts Museum Houston, there is a lovely mix of personalities, experiences, and backgrounds that enrich the communal adventure. Contradictions ruled the essay and the discussion, in search for meaning or a normative approach to three aspects: art theory, analysis, and art creation. The purity of art was in question. If indeed we "consider art from the perspective of the everyday is to stress that the measure of art is not found by borrowing the yardsticks of other discourses, bur rather from its articulation and practices from everyday life." And since the access to "life" is always through language, culture, and psyche, the interpretation of art is as a result impure.

So here I am in the bathroom, and you cannot get more banal, everday, or outside the realm of political correctness. Listening to Anna Netrebko, a completely marvelous trancendetal voice singing "Ah! non Credea Mirarti" from Bellini's La Sonnambula is a perfect example of the other extreme of the continuum. This polarity woke me up and I thought: if everything happens for a reason, I should probably pay attention to why I am hearing this now, and perhaps if the lyrics have any meaning. Incidentally, it starts with a flute.
Oh, I didn't believe to see you
so quickly extinct, o flowers;
you have passed away like love
that one day only lasted.

Perhaps new life
my tears will bring to you
but to revive love
my tears, o no, cannot

O, inconceivable human thought
a wave of contentment I am full:
In my feelings I can hardly believe
you assure me, o my treasure (darling)

O, embrace me, and always together,
always united in a single hope,
of the world, we live in
we will make a heaven of love
Perhaps the most significant line as I am consistently attempting to reinvent myself, is the explanation and human tears can bring new life. The individual has the ability to change ourselves and impact others. Human thought is assuring. However, love is our immediate beyond control.

There are many possible meaningful and significant extrapolations here. Hope you find one as well.

blog comments powered by Disqus