Pages

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

A Song Without Words

Waking up. One eye open, another half closed. I am attempting to wake up after a late and emotionally charged evening. I need to be up and going in a few minutes as I have an important meeting to learn about new laws and guidelines regarding title company and closing statements. I attended last night the touring show of So You Think You Can Dance, and it made me think about that often conventional communication hinders our ability to share the core and essence of messages. It has severe limits.

The concept is embodied beautifully in Felix Mendelssohn (1809-1847) "Song Withouth Words." In his words: "What the music I love expresses to me, is not thought too indefinite to put into words, but on the contrary, too definite." These short romantic pieces had the distinct responsibility of carrying a message so precise, it could only be shared through artistic mediums. Although initially they were not given much importance as the music itself is within the grasp of amateur pianists, the idea that music transcends words in accuracy makes one stop and think.

Sometimes we find sublime in the most unexpected of places. I do have to admit that I initially thought of So You Think You Can Dance with a discerning eye, aligning it closely with artistic prostitution. But taking a step back, often today's celebrities are talentless and are known strictly for dramatic and controversial events in their lives. How wonderful is it that ballet, contemporary, broadway (and a myriad styles of other dancers) get a chance to showcase their abilities, earn and retain celebrity status.

There was one dance that made me understand a difficult issue that some people close to me face: addiction. Whether physical, emotional, psychological, or chemical, it is often something that those who are lucky enough not to have struggled with it can find it hard to relate, understand, and sympathize. Having witnessed this within 10 feet from the stage allowed me to understand that amazing dance looks effortless and completely natural. Having the ability to look directly at the dancer's eyes and facial expressions added to the connection. I did not have to seek for meaning. It was clear, precise, and went beyond words and conventional communication.

It seems that lately, I have had many conversations about meaning. I have seen a couple of works that puzzled me and challenged me to connect and find meaning. Some made me think, others left me unfulfilled. I have come to the conclusion that if that happens, if a connection is not made, if meaning is clouded, then the aesthetic and art experience has failed.


blog comments powered by Disqus