Pages

Sunday, October 18, 2009

Finding Stuff to do in Houston

I make my rounds. I try to see what time will allow me to see. I generally do not discriminate between the art disciplines, although I often tend to enjoy dance performances above all. For me, performing arts requires focus. Visual arts allows me to wonder as generally, the piece won't change while I am swimming in my own sea of unconscious and conscious thought waves and tides. I have come to the conclusion that Houston has incredible creative talent, although sometimes not as visible, I love that social media trends has allowed some of the smaller non-profits and artists to be as visible as some with the largest marketing budgets.

I have to put a plug for two organizations that keep me challenged and continue to introduce me to incredible folks. There are also additional websites I frequent that give me helpful information:

Spacetaker provides artists and small non-profits access to economic, educational and networking opportunities. I often consult the Culture Guide for happenings. I make a point of going to the Artist SPEAKeasy on a monthly basis. Artists have a chance to present informally and dialogue about their work, discourse, and creative processes. Aside from being a fun forum, you also get to meet fantastic personalities that seek similar experiences. To stay current, the Culture Wire will keep you current on what's new and exciting in Houston's arts scene. If you get a chance to meet the folks behind the scenes, you are in for a real treat.

Fresh Arts Coalition is a collaboration of original and thought-provoking arts group and markets the importance of the arts builds audience through increased visibility. The calendar is an impressive listing of their affiliated groups and will help you keep current on what's happening right now. When I show this website to friends, they are often surprised as to how much really happens in Houston. Come on y'all. Houston rocks.

I also like to consult ArtsHound, an online resource for cultural information for the Houston. I am also quite excited about Culture Map, which is supposed to launch in November 2009. A new online "mapzine" I am always on board for new cool ways to distribute information. Recently, Shelby Hodges, society reporter and long time columnist for the Houston Chronicle joined the Culture Map Team. This is HUGE!

Of course, I always directly with the organizations I love. Whether it's the MFAH, CAMH, Opera, Ballet, Symphony, Stages Repertory Theater, and the list goes on and on (so forgive me if I left anyone or anything out). But I am so thankful there are organizations out there that challenge me and keep me current of Houston's wide array of happenings, people, and experiences.
blog comments powered by Disqus